Apple has lengthy presented some way so that you can get admission to the startup quantity on one Mac as a force that looks on any other that’s without delay hooked up. Till just lately, that strategies used to be referred to as Goal Disk Mode, and it stays in position for all Intel Macs. New Apple silicon Macs with an M1 processor depend as an alternative on Percentage Disk (often referred to as “Mac Disk Sharing”) that calls for a wholly other trail.
Without reference to the Mac’s antique, you get started with a cable hooked up between like ports at the two Macs:
- With an Intel Mac, attach a FireWire port to a FireWire port (take into account FireWire?) or a Thunderbolt port to a Thunderbolt port.
- With an M1 Mac, you’ll be able to use USB 3.0 (Sort-A to Sort-A), or a USB-C knowledge cable that handles both USB 3.1 Gen 2 or later or Thunderbolt 3.
Percentage on an Intel Mac by the use of Goal Disk Mode
For an Intel Mac, you permit Goal Disk Mode and restart:
- From the Startup Disk desire pane, click on Goal Disk Mode.
- Restart your Mac.
- The startup quantity seems within the Finder of the opposite Mac as though it had been a fastened quantity from an connected force.
As a substitute of steps 1 and 2, you’ll be able to additionally restart and grasp down the T key all through startup.
You’ll be able to now switch, open, and delete recordsdata. When whole, eject the amount. Dangle down the facility button at the sharing Mac till it powers all the way down to go out Goal Disk Mode. You’ll be able to then restart into macOS in most cases.
Percentage on an Apple silicon Mac with Percentage Disk
With an M1 Mac, extra steps are concerned as a result of a brand new safety way that calls for authentication at extra steps. This additionally stocks the disk as a networked quantity as an alternative of a without delay hooked up force. Right here’s how:
- Select > Close Down.
- As soon as your laptop is totally powered down, grasp down the facility button till you spot Loading Startup Choices.
- Click on Choices and click on Proceed.
- Choose an account at the Mac you’re sharing and input its password, then click on Proceed.
- Select Utilities > Percentage Disk.
- Choose the disk to percentage; an M1 Mac means that you can percentage any inside or connected force. Click on Get started Sharing.
- At the Mac you need to get admission to the amount from, select Cross > Community, make a choice the Mac within the listing that looks, click on Attach As within the upper-right nook, make a choice Visitor, and click on Attach.
After you’ve interacted in no matter approach you spot are compatible with the fastened Mac quantity, eject it. Then click on Forestall Sharing at the sharing Mac. Select > Restart to renew the use of macOS on that Mac.
Ask Mac 911
We’ve compiled a listing of the questions we get requested maximum often along side solutions and hyperlinks to columns: (*2*)learn our tremendous FAQ to look in case your query is roofed. If now not, we’re at all times on the lookout for new issues to resolve! Electronic mail yours to [email protected] together with display captures as suitable, and whether or not you need your complete title used. No longer each query will likely be responded, we don’t respond to e-mail, and we can’t supply direct troubleshooting recommendation.
Roman has lined generation because the early Nineties. His profession began at MacUser, and he is labored for MacAddict, Mac|Lifestyles, and TechTV.