With SpaceX’s Starlink being made to be had in my house, I changed into occupied with simply what number of satellites had been overhead at any given time. Thankfully, america House Command tracks and makes to be had information for monitoring the are living positions of items in orbit. We will be able to download this knowledge, and use a Raspberry Pi and a few audio system to announce when a specific satellite tv for pc is making an overhead cross. You’ll additionally get an SMS message despatched in your telephone along with the audio.
What You’ll Want For This Mission
make a Raspberry Pi Satellite tv for pc Tracker
Prior to you get began, just remember to have your Raspberry Pi OS arrange. For those who haven’t achieved this ahead of, see our article on the way tofor the primary time or the way to do a (with out the keyboard and display).
1. Set up git, which can let us clone the code from github.com
sudo apt-get replace && sudo apt-get set up -y git
2. Clone the repository and descend into the listing created.
git clone https://github.com/rydercalmdown/pi_satellite_announcer.git cd pi_satellite_announcer
3. Run the set up command. It’s going to maintain putting in a digital atmosphere, any important low stage dependencies, and the python necessities.
make set up
4. Seek advice from space-track.org and create a brand new account. This may occasionally allow us to download two-line component (TLE) information tracked via america House Command. The code will replace information from this web page as soon as in keeping with day, and retailer it in the neighborhood to attenuate pressure on their servers.
5. As soon as registered, go back in your raspberry pi and edit your atmosphere.sh document – exchange the template values together with your space-track username and password.
nano atmosphere.sh # Your spacetrack credentials # export [email protected] # export SPACETRACK_PASSWORD=your_spacetrack_password
6. Retrieve your own home latitude and longitude values from Google maps via proper clicking at the map and settling on the primary possibility.
7. Reproduction your latitude and longitude values into atmosphere.sh, and set your required radius in kilometers. As an example, a radius of 20 kilometers would most effective record satellites overhead if their place at the floor is lower than 20 kilometers clear of you – they may well be at any altitude.
8. Plug in audio system to the 3.5mm audio port for your raspberry pi, and take a look at that you’ll be able to listen them with the next command. I’m the usage of a megaphone, however any audio system with a 3.5mm audio enter will paintings. It’s possible you’ll want to building up the amount with the alsamixer command. For those who run into bother, check out configuring your audio within the raspi-config menu.
# Take a look at audio system espeak -a 200 "this can be a take a look at" --stdout | aplay # Regulate quantity alsamixer
9. (*20*)Arrange a twilio account. We’ll use this to ship a textual content message when a satellite tv for pc seems overhead. For those who don’t want to use twilio, you’ll be able to edit app.py and set the ‘use_twilio’ variable to False.
10. Practice the setup directions for a twilio account.It is very important create a telephone quantity, and get your account credentials to accomplish the ship movements.
11. After you have your credentials and contact quantity, Upload them to the surroundings.sh document.
nano atmosphere.sh # Twilio credentials export TWILIO_ACCOUNT_SID=your_account_id export TWILIO_AUTH_TOKEN=your_account_token # the quantity you bought with twilio export TWILIO_NUMBER_FROM=+10000000000 # your telephone quantity export TWILIO_NUMBER_TO=10000000000
12. Run the code with the next command. It’s going to hook up with space-track, download the newest TLE information, and instantly get started reporting satellites over the latitude, longitude, and radius supplied within the atmosphere.sh document.
13. Mess around with the code. Presently it most effective publicizes satellites that don’t seem to be thought to be particles, however this can also be adjusted simply. You’ll additionally filter out down via constellation, or most effective announce satellites with names which might be fascinating to you, just like the world area station (ZARYA).