Smart TVs have become a common necessity for every person. You use the Smart TV for watching your favorite shows, streaming your favorite movies, playing video games, and even using it as a projector screen. For all of these functions to work properly, you need to be making use of the remote. The remote is an essential part of any TV out there. But what happens when you have no remote with you? Let’s say your remote is lost or damaged.
If you have ever come into such a situation, you might be wondering how is it possible to switch the TV on in case you don’t have a remote. If this is your question and you own a Roku TV without a remote, we’ll be showing you the different ways you can follow to turn on the Roku TV without using a remote.
Let’s get started.
How to turn on Roku TV without remote
Now, there can be times when your remote is damaged or lost and you might be waiting for a replacement remote to arrive. So, until the remote arrives, are you simply going to sit and not make use of the Roku TV to watch your shows and movies? Obviously not.!
So, here are a number of ways you can follow to power on your Roku TV without using a TV remote.
Turn on Roku TV using the Power Buttons
While most modern TVs are designed to look modern and aesthetic, there can be times when you might not be seeing the buttons for the TV anywhere in the front. Sometimes, you might also see two to three buttons on the TV panel instead of a number of them like on older TVs.
For Roku TVs, you should normally be seeing a set of power, volume, and source buttons either at the bottom left, right, back panels, or on the sides of your TV. Simply press the button that says Power and you can easily switch the TV on.
Here we create an infographic showing button availability on different Roku TVs from brands including, Vizio, TCL, Hisense, Sharp, Insignia, Toshiba, and more.
Switch Roku TV on via Infrared Remote App
A good number of Android devices out there have built-in infrared sensors. Because a lot of remotes work via Infrared, you can easily make use of the mobile device to power up your Roku TV. all you need to do in this situation is launch the remote app that might be pre-installed on your device. If you don’t have an app on your device, you can always download a remote app from the Google Play Store itself.
Once you have the app, select the type of device you want to control. Now, select the brand of the TV that you have. You might be asked to enter a model number. Once all of that has been done, you can easily use the mobile device to turn on the Roku TV.
Ask Alexa to Turn on your Roku TV
If you have an Alexa-enabled smart speaker with you connected and set up to your Wifi network, you can make use of the Alexa Roku skill to control the basic functions of your Roku TV. here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Download the Alexa app for your Android or . If you haven’t already.
- Sign in with the Amazon account and tap on the three horizontal lines at the top.
- Tap on the Skills and Games option.
- A search bar will be displayed. In the search bar, you need to enter and search for Roku..
- When you find the Roku skill, tap on it and select Launch.
- The app will ask you to sign in with a Roku account
- Make sure to sign in with the same Roku account that has been used to sign into the Roku TV itself. Both accounts should be the same.
- Once the Alexa app finds your Roku TV, select it.
- You can finally tap on Link Device. The Roku TV will now be controlled by Alexa by just using voice commands.
You can make use of different commands to control your Roku TV such as
- Alexa, Turn On Roku TV
- Alexa, Increase the volume
- Alexa, Turn Off Roku TV
Use Roku App to Turn On Roku TV
You can also take advantage of the Roku app, although, it will only work if your TV is active (or standby mode) or connected to the same WiFi network as your phone.
- Download the app. It’s free to use on Android and devices.
- Power your TV on by pressing the button that is at the bottom.
- Make sure that your Roku TV connects automatically to your Wi-Fi network.
- Now, connect your cellphone to the same Wi-Fi network and open up the Roku App.
- Tap on the Remote tab that is at the bottom of the app screen.
- It will look for TVs that are on the same network. When you find your Roku TV, select it.
- You will now have a few buttons on your cellphone’s screen. You can use these buttons to control your Roku.
Turn On Roku TV with PS4/PS5
If you’re a gamer and have a console like the Sony PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5, you can easily use the gaming console to turn on your Roku TV. The steps to enable this cool and unique feature can be done by following these steps.
- Make sure to first connect your Roku TV and your PS4 or PS5 via a supported HDMI cable.
- Press the power button on your TV to switch it on.
- Now, power up your PS4 or PS5.
- With the gaming console on, open the Settings menu and select System Settings.
- Scroll through and select the Enable HDMII Devie Link option.
- Make sure to have this feature enabled on your PS4 or PS5.
- Now, switch your Roku Tv and your PS4/PS5 off.
- Finally, you need to simply switch the PS4 or PS5 on.
- Once the gaming console powers up, it should also automatically power up your Roku TV.
- Make sure that your Roku TV is plugged into its power source and that all the cables are properly connected.
And this is how you can turn on your Roku TV by just using your PlayStation 4/5 gaming console. Simple and easy.
Use the Nintendo Switch to Turn On Roku TV
The Nintendo Switch is another great portable gaming console. You can also use the device to power up your Roku TV. However, for this, you will need to be having the official Nintendo Dock for the Switch. If you have the dock and the gaming console, you can follow these steps.
- Connect your Nintendo Switch to the dock and the dock is connected to your TV via the HDMI cable.
- Switch the TV on using the power button or any other method of your choice
- On your Switch, open the Settings menu and select TV Settings.
- On the right side of the screen, scroll to the bottom and choose Match Power State.
- Now, power off the Switch as well as your Roku TV.
- Once both devices are off, turn the Switch on. In a few seconds, your Roku TV will also power itself up automatically.
This concludes the guide on how you can power up the Roku TV without using the dedicated remote. This comes in handy and is useful when you might have lost you’re remote, damaged it, or waiting for the replacement remote to arrive. Now that you know how to turn on your Roku TV without a TV remote, you don’t have to worry any time a situation arises when you might not have the remote with you.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.